Movie Review: 'Despicable Me'


Sometimes, you just need an increased dose of cuteness in your life. Thankfully, I have the perfect movie to quench your craving: Despicable Me. Steve Carell is the voice of Gru, who, intent on obtaining the title of “world’s greatest villain”, decides to plan the ultimate heist: to steal the moon. Then three little orphaned girls make their way into his life, proving to be his biggest challenge yet.

This animated film more than surpassed my expectations. I went in expecting a cute, funny kids movie and I left having experienced a cuter, funnier, movie than I ever could have imagined. Packed with the likes of Russell Brand, Julie Andrews, Jason Segel, Will Arnett and Kristin Wiig contributing their voices alongside Steve Carell, the entire cast was fantastic. To top it off, it was legitimately funny. Not just “funny for little kids” funny…my friend and I were cracking up. It had me laughing a million times more than Grown Ups did.

What surprised me the most though, was how infectious its charm was. I know a lot of people (myself included) wanted to see the film based off that one adorable little dark-haired girl in the trailer who screams “IT’S SO FLUFFY!!” when she gleefully receives a stuffed unicorn. The movie was worth seeing for her alone. Then add those super cute little yellow “minions”, Steve Carell’s hilarious accent, wonderful animation, and you have a heartwarming film that is impossible not to love.

Rating: A

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment