It's Complicated review

When you see a cast like Meryl Streep, Alec Baldwin, and Steve Martin all together in the same movie, you have to be at least a little intrigued. I know I was, which is why I chose to go see It's Complicated on its opening day. The premise is about a lonely, divorced woman (Meryl Streep), who finds herself in the unlikely (yet very comical) situation of starting an affair with her now married ex-husband (Alec Baldwin). The film is directed by Nancy Meyers, a director who has given us some of the most delightful romantic comedies of recent times such as 'The Holiday", "Somethings Gotta Give", and "What Woman Want". It's Complicated, unfortunately, doesn't meet the standard of these other films in my opinion. While it is at some points very funny, the humor is much more silly than clever...much of it relying on the age of the three leads to get its laughs: "look, the middle-aged people are smoking pot!" "Look, the middle-aged people are having sex!" I guess seeing the stature of the cast, and the hype surrounding the movie, I expected a little more. Nevertheless, while the script might not be all that I wanted it to be, the three leads elevate it from mediocrity to quite a fun and enjoyable movie-going experience.


Grade: B-

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment