The Young Victoria review

The Young Victoria is about the early days of Queen Victoria's rule in England and her blossoming relationship with the man she will come to marry, Prince Albert. Queen Victoria is played by Emily Blunt, who most of you will probably recognize from her role in The Devil Wears Prada. She is what makes this movie worth seeing. I'm not going to lie, I have a weakness for British period dramas. So when I first saw the trailer for this movie, I automatically knew it was something I would be seeing. However, when I started hearing all the buzz over Emily Blunts performance, I was intrigued. The girl from The Devil Wears Prada? Her first starring role, and their calling it oscar-worthy? Then she was nominated for a Golden Globe for Best Actress, and I knew I absolutely had to see it. She is, in my opinion, better than the hype, and better than I could have ever expected. She plays the role with such spirit that you can't help but be taken with her. She captures so much vivacity in her performance, and is so comfortable in her role as Queen Victoria that it is truly remarkable. And on another note, I can't help but mention how beautiful she looks throughout the entire film. She deserves a nomination, and she deserves to win it.


When it comes to movies like this, you can almost always expect two things: lovely, sweeping cinematography, and breathtaking costumes. This movie has both, but it was the costumes that had me fixated the entire movie. Can you say best costumes oscar? I haven't been this in love with a movies costumes since Marie Antoinette. They were seriously incredible. Even if the story doesn't appeal to you, I would recommend you see it for the visuals alone. The cinematography was so lush that even during a slight period of around 15 minutes when the story felt like it was starting to dull, I had no impulses to zone out.

The Young Victoria is a great film, and definitely has its merits. However, throughout the movie I couldn't help but think that something was missing, yet I couldn't put my finger on it. After the movie ended I was still trying to figure this out when it finally hit me. What this film was lacking, which is usually abundant in other films of its kind, is passion. Still, it is most definitely worth seeing if you are a fan of the genre, Emily Blunt, or even just sweet romances.

Grade: B

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment