When in Rome

From the trailer, I probably should have been able to deduce that the movie would be stupid and not worth my time, but the appeal of a new cute romantic comedy mixed with the charm of Kristen Bell and Josh Duhamel made me (shamefully) excited to see When in Rome. However, within the first half hour, I couldn't help but marvel at my own bad judgement. Not only was When in Rome most definitely stupid and not worth my time, it made me embarrassed for everyone attached to the movie, and even more embarrassed that I was one of the people that saw the movie opening night.


What makes When in Rome so bad isn't the plot, its the execution of what could have been a somewhat original plot alongside one of the worst scripts i've ever encountered. The comedy was slapstick and so completely over the top that it was difficult to even pretend to laugh at. I actually found my self bored during the last half, because it got to the point where I wasn't even rooting for the characters at all. All of the funny lines were in the trailer, and the movie really encompasses everything that gives chick flicks and romantic comedies a bad rep. To top it all off, the leads, who were the main drawing point for me seeing the movie, were flat and had no notable chemistry. The movie didn't even take advantage of the moments filmed in beautiful Rome, so I can't give it props in that aspect either. While writing this review, I'm trying to think of some good qualities the film had, but honestly can think of nothing beyond "the leads are nice to look at"...and even that doesn't make me feel any better about the 10 dollars I will never see again.

Rating: D-

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment